This course aims to provide teachers, trainers and tutors with the opportunity to develop the skills, knowledge and professional values necessary for a teaching career within the lifelong learning sector. This sector includes further education colleges, adult and community education, work-based training providers, offender learning and public sector organisations.
- Teaching in the lifelong learning sector has undergone a period of professionalisation in recent years, and this award is now the nationally-endorsed qualification
- Bursaries may be available for applicants teaching in national shortage subjects
We also offer a part time Certificate in Education (incorporating Diploma in Teaching in the Lifelong Learning Sector) - Uniformed Public Sector Provision specifically designed for trainees from the uniformed public sector.
- The course runs from September to June.
- During term time trainees are committed to a Monday-Friday week of academic study and professional practice.
- Trainees will undertake attendance on campus for two full days (9am - 5pm) each week.
- Trainees will spend two days each week in a professional practice placement (arranged by the University).
- Trainees will spend one day each week undertaking independent study and research
- Peer support groups are an important part of programme organisation and learning.
- Critical analysis and reflective practice are at the heart of the programme philosophy.
- Teaching observations will be carried out by university tutors and subject specialist mentors in an atmosphere of professional evaluation and support.