WHY STUDY MARINE RENEWABLE ENERGY?
The UK government is committed to a target of 15% of our energy sourced from renewables by 2020. This target is equivalent to a seven-fold increase in UK renewable energy consumption from current levels: the most challenging of any EU Member State. The renewable energy sector will require a rapid expansion with a need for graduates whose skills, knowledge and innovation can help drive that expansion.
Graduates from the programme will gain:
- understanding and awareness of the political framework, policy, planning, technological and scientific issues surrounding and at the limits of knowledge of the marine renewable energy sector
- conceptual abilities to contribute to the development and critical evaluation of specific marine renewable energy technologies
- the skills necessary to assess the environmental impact of marine renewable technologies and to manage the associated planning requirements
- employability skills of direct relevance to the marine renewable energy industries and research organisations, also comprising a commitment to their continuing professional development
- the necessary high level skill set to pursue further academic research or scholarship in marine renewable energy.